I know it’s
slightly almost-two-months late, but I finally decided to put together a bucket list of the top ten free (or almost free!) activities I want to experience in London this coming year. Having fun in London can be incredibly expensive, but there are also so many amazing things to do, and places to explore, that cost very little (if any) money.
So, in no particular order;
- Swim on Hampstead Heath. I adore being outdoors, particularly in the summer, and given that I used to swim competitively, this is something I’m very excited about.
- Notting Hill Carnival. I’ve been once before (prior to living in London) and just had the best time, I can’t wait to go again.
- South Bank. I love the South Bank. I go there fairly often as it is, but the reason this has made my bucket list is that I would love to spend an entire day there, spending a few hours in the Tate Modern (<3), grabbing some food to eat by the river, and just generally soaking up the incredible, busting atmosphere.
- Design Museum. I’ve heard a lot of hype around the Design Museum lately, and even the architecture looks incredible. (Plus, it gives me an excuse to go to Kensington for the day)
- Boris Bike around the City. Biking in London is super fun, and one of the cheapest ways to get around. You get to learn more about the geography of the city, and avoid having a sweaty armpit shoved into your face all the way from Marble Arch to Bethnal Green 🙂
- Watch the Boat Race. As an Oxford alumni, I am ashamed to say I have never watched the boat race. This year I fully intend to ensconce myself in a pub by the river somewhere and soak up the atmosphere (#FTT)
- Picnic in Hyde Park. Grab some Pimms and quiche, and go sunbathing. What more could you want?
- Visit the Huntarian Museum. I’ve you’re pretty drawn to the dark and macabre like me, the Huntarian’s collection of anatomical and pathological objects is going to be a must-visit. The Huntarian Museum is going to be closed for redevelopment from May 20th, 2017, so I plan to do this one very soon!
- Greenwich Market. London has a vast array of interesting markets, and having recently had a brief visit to Greenwich, I’ve decided to make this market the next to tick off my list.
- Run in Richmond Park. I adore running, and I can’t imagine a more picturesque (and deer-filled) place to go for some exercise <3.
I’m already so excited to start ticking some of these off my bucket list. I’m always looking for fun (ideally free!) things to do in this amazing city, so if you have any favourites, please let me know!